Health Services

This section provides information about what health services you are entitled to as a student in UK and how to access them.

  • Services within the Conservatoire

The Conservatoire operates a Medical Specialist Scheme.  If you find you’ve developed a course-related medical problem that proves difficult to assess via your National Health Service (NHS) General Practitioner (GP), the Conservatoire will allow you to access a private healthcare provider for one free consultation appointment.  The specialists that the Conservatoire works with are as follows:

Ear, Nose and Throat – Miss Fiona McGregor

Hand and Upper limb – Mr Sanjeev Chitnis

Physiotherapy – Mr Patrice Berque

Oral surgeon – Dr Christine Goodall

Medical Specialist Procedure for Students

GP Form

To access this service you must have seen your GP and returned the GP Form.  If you think you need a consultation from a scpecilist who is not on the list above then this scheme is not appropriate for you.  You might want to contact the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) for free specialist medical advice.

  • NHS Services in Scotland

The National Health Service Scotland has noticed an increase in enquiries from students who are looking for support around accessing NHS services, such as:

  • how to register with a GP or Dentist,
  • access to Sexual Health information and services
  • what NHS services they are entitled to as an overseas student

The NHS 24 Health Information Services team would like to alert your attention NHS inform and NHS 24 — Self-Help Guide.

NHS 24 — Find Local services

— Find your nearest GP,Pharmacy,Sexual Health Clinic,Travel Clinic and Dentist in your area.
NHS 24 provides self care advice for people in Scotland, if you’re ill and it can’t wait until your GP surgery opens call on 111.   The phone line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

NHS inform Health A — Z

High-quality information on more than 800 health conditions and treatments which can be searched by A-Z or body map.  Information can easily be printed by section to create an easy to read handout.

NHS inform — Mental Health and Wellbeing zone 

A gateway to Scottish-focused information on different aspects of mental health and wellbeing such as:

  • Stress Management
  • Helping Yourself and Accessing Help
  • Worried About Someone

NHS inform —Musculoskeletal Zone

Offers information,advice and top tips to people with muscle or joint problems.  Topics covered include:

  • Upper Body – Information and advice on neck and upper limb problems.
  • Back Problems – Prevent back problems from taking over daily life.
  • Lower Body – Information and advice on hip and lower limb problems.
  • Whiplash Injuries – Prevent whiplash injuries from taking over daily life.
  • Treatment and Recovery – advice on how to treat and recover from sprains,strains and sports injuries.

NHS inform — Alcohol zone

Find out whether you are drinking more than is healthy by completing the Alcohol Zone questionnaire.

Support Services Directory

From addiction to multiple sclerosis,the Scottish Support Services Directory has local and national organisations ready to help. It can be searched using keywords,or by browsing the A-Z.

Health Rights Information Scotland

  • Information for overseas students
  • Information about health services inScotland
  • A guide to using NHS services inScotland

Many of the resources on this website are offered in alternative formats and translations.

Other Resources


Breathing Space – – is a free, confidential phone and web based service for any individual who is experiencing low mood or depression, or who is unusually worried and in need of someone to talk to You can call 0800 838587 open 6pm – 2am Mon-Thurs and from 6pm – 6am Fri-Mon

Samaritans – – call 116 123, email or text: 07725 90 90 90 – 24 hours a day

Papyrus – 0800 068 4141

Victim Support Scotland – 0845 603 9213 Mon-Fri, 8am – 8pm

Living Life

NHS Living Life is a telephone support service based on a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) approach. NHS Living Life Guided Self Help is available to anyone over the age of 16 suffering low mood, mild to moderate depression and/or anxiety. Call 0800 328 9655 (Mon-Fri 1pm-9pm) to make an appointment.

Sexual Health Scotland

Whether we’re part of a couple,in a new relationship,have many partners or are happy and relaxed with no sex,everyone needs to take care of their sexual wellbeing.



Campaign Against Living Miserable (CALM) – 0800 585858 open 5pm – midnight

Living Life – 0800 326 9655 open Mon-Fri 1-9pm run by NHS

Students Against Depressing –

See Me Scotland –  – the anti-stigma campaign in Scotland.

Young Minds – – an organisation based in England looking at a lot of the issues young people with mental health problems face. Contains insightful personal blogs and articles.

The Mental Health Foundation – – UK mental health research, policy and service improvement charity.

Innovation Labs – – a list of all the apps and websites produced or currently being designed to improve mental health. They are created through a process of coproduction between young people, health professionals and digital experts.

The Scottish Association for Mental Health – Scottish charity providing help, information and support around mental ill health and campaigning on behalf of people with mental health problems

Youth Health Talk – – a website of young people’s experiences to get advice and support from other young people in the same situation.

Self-Harm and Suicide Prevention

1 million Reasons to Live – – started as a suicide prevention Tumblr, where users can submit a “reason to live” and look at others reasons, with the aim of inspiring hope and as a distraction from negative thoughts.

The Butterfly Project – – online campaign to encourage alternatives to self-harm

Choose Life – – information on suicide prevention and Scotland’s suicide prevention strategy, including ASIST and SafeTalk training.

Self – lots of info, advice and personal stories around self harm, particularly focused on young people.

Life Signs – user generated and interactive website around self harm , contains a great deal of info and support.

Eating Disorder Related

Beat – – the UK’s eating disorder organisation supporting people affected by eating disorders, their family members and friends, and campaigning on their behalf.

Men Get Eating Disorders Too – a national charity representing and supporting the needs of men with eating disorders.

Re-capture – – online and offline gallery of personal stories of recovery from eating disorders. Entries combine words and a photograph to create powerful images of hope.


Anxiety UK – – national charity for those affected by anxiety disorders

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and General Mental Health

 Doc Read – – useful resource developed by young people, a website which allows people to create a plan for a visit to a GP to discuss their mental health, also containing information and advice.

Living Life to the Full – – free online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) course.

 Mood Gym – – an Australian Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) website which is free to use and interactive

Get Self Help – – lots of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and other supportive resources for a range of mental health problems

Reach Out – – a comprehensive portal for yp that enables them to find in, use apps, and find help with mental health and wellbeing. Originally in Australia the model has been exported to Ireland the USA, content available in UK too.

Scotland’s Mental Health First Aid – – the Scotland’s Mental Health First Aid information website.

Scottish Recovery Network – – lots of information and stories of recovery from mental ill health

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

OCD-UK – – service user led charity supporting children and adults affected by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Bipolar and Schizophrenia

Bipolar Scotland – – information and support for those with bipolar disorder and those who care for and about them

Support in Mind – – was the National Schizophrenia Fellowship (Scotland) and provides services, information and support for those affect by schizophrenia and their carers.

Hearing Voices Network – – provides information as well as local groups and projects. This is for anyone who hears voices, sees visions or has any other unusual perceptions.


Moodscope – – measure your mood each day by flipping 20 cards with emotions such as nervous or alert to a score from 0-3 depending on how strongly you feel it. Moodscope turns your scores into a percentage and tracks on a graph you can add notes to and see what triggers both good and bad days. You can have your scores emailed to a friend or family member.

Pacifica – An app to track your mood, health and thoughts allowing you to notice and change patterns. Follow a series of audio lessons and related activities created by psychologists to help you learn techniques to manage your stress, anxiety or depression.

Buddhify – – popular app, you select what you are currently doing (walking, trying to sleep, using the internet, on a train etc.) and a guided meditation to match. It also has a community feel telling you how many people have followed the meditations that day. The app costs £1.99

Headspace – – free ten day mindfulness programme (which you keep so can use the ten days any time) and paid if you want more

Smiling Mind – – meditation for every age, in four categories – age 7-11, 12-15, 16-22 and adu

SAM – Self-help for Anxiety Management – – helps people to understand what causes their anxiety, monitor their anxious thoughts and behaviours over time and manage their anxiety through self help exercises and private reflection. Also enables sharing of experiences with the SAM community while protecting your identity

Five Ways to Wellbeing – – aims to help people feel happier and healthier by encouraging them to do simple things under the headings of connect, be active, take notice, keep learning and give. It allows people to reflect on their wellbeing, set activities to help improve their wellbeing and track their progress.

Stop Breath and Think – this app allows you to “check in” and log your current mood and physical state, and then suggests guided meditations linked to your result. It also creates a log of your check ins and meditations.

Breathe2Relax – http://www.t2health.dcoe.mi/apps/breathe2relax – Teaches diaphragmatic breathing to help you relax through coaching you with timers and images, as well as providing information on stress and relaxing.

Mind of My Own (MOM) – self advocacy app young people to use in advance of or at any meetings with social care services, health professions and teachers etc. It goes through a series of questions and creates a document that can be shared with professions to enhance communication between them and young people they are supporting.


  • Woodside Health Centre – GP Services

All students of the Conservatoire are entitled to access the medical services provided by the National Health Service (NHS).  If you live in Liberty House or the postcode areas of G1, G2, G3, G4, G12 or G20 you can register with Dr Leslie and Partners at Woodside Health Centre.  The Conservatoire has a close relationship with this surgery and office staff are present each year at our new student matriculation session in order to assist you with your registration form or alternatively apply online by clicking on the following link.  Dr Leslie & Partners online registration

It is strongly advised that all students register with a Glasgow GP as soon as possible after arrival at the Conservatoire.  If you live elsewhere in Glasgow please see the NHS 24 – Find Local Services section on this page

  • Dentists

Dental services in the UK are either offered through the National Health Service (NHS) or privately. NHS dentists are much lower in price than private services.   When registering with a dentist please ask whether they accept NHS patients as some surgeries do not.  To find your nearest NHS dentist go to

  • Keeping Healthy

It is vital that you take steps to ensure that your mind and body are as healthy as possible during your studies.  The British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) website has excellent health-related resources for performing artists.  However, if you develop a medical problem that is course/programme-related that is persistent and is affecting your performance on a daily basis, the Conservatoire offers all students one consultation appointment with a private (non-NHS) consultant.  Please see the International and Student Experience team to discuss your situation in detail and to get an application form.

  • Meningitis

Viral Meningitis can make people very unwell, and although there are thousands of cases each year, most people will make a full recovery.  Nevertheless, some people are left with serious and debilitating after-effects.  Bacterial meningitis can be life-threatening and needs urgent medical attention. Most people who suffer from bacterial meningitis recover, but many can be left with a variety of after-effects and one in 10 will die.  University students can be more vulnerable due to living in more cramped housing or halls of residence. In many cases young people come together from all over the country – and indeed world – to live in one place and can be exposed to bacteria and viruses their body’s have not met before. This is why so many new students get ‘fresher’s flu’.  When students go off to university, it is often the first time they are living away from their parents and, more often than not, their own health and wellbeing is not a priority for them. With no parents to keep an eye on their health, meningitis can get missed. It is vital that someone always knows if you are feeling unwell and can check up on you.

  • International Students

Most students in Scotland are entitled to free medical treatment through the National Health Service (NHS), this includes:

– consulting a General Practitioner (GP) and most other GP services (e.g. visiting a clinic)

-treatment in a hospital (both emergency and non-emergency treatment)

However, you may need to pay for:

– medicines prescribed by your GP

-some GP services (e.g. vaccinations for travel, getting a sickness certificate)

– dental treatment

– optical treatment

Even if you are entitled to free NHS treatment whilst in the UK, you should consider taking out insurance which covers other medical-related costs.  An insurance policy may cover, for example:

– lost fees if you are unable to complete your course;

-costs of returning home if a relative is ill;

– costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill;

-cost of returning to your home country for treatment;

There is often a long wait for NHS treatment, sometimes many months.  An insurance policy which gives you access to private medical care could give you much quicker access to the treatment you need.  If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK, as well as looking at options available from UK insurers – you may like to consider Endsleigh who have a specific international student policy.

UKCISA provides a useful ‘Keeping Healthy’ information sheet which will give you further details.

  • EU Students

Please be reminded that it is a requirement for EEA students and their family members to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), unless they are also here as a worker or as a self- employed person.  This requirement comes from the EU Directive concerning the free movement of persons and is therefore transposed into the UK’s implementing EEA Regulations.

 The UK government does not accept access to the NHS as meeting this requirement. This position has been upheld in UK case law.  The UK government has said that it will only accept one of the following as evidence of CSI:

  1. European Health Insurance Card (if the stay is not intended to be permanent), issued by an EEA member state other than the UK;
  2. Private medical insurance (which is comprehensive);
  3. Form S1; Form S2; Form S3

 Additionally access to non-emergency NHS treatment may be subject to providing evidence of entitlement to receive the treatment. See our information on medical treatment.

We have information on our website for EEA national students and their family members (including information about CSI).

  • Further Information & Downloads

NHS Eye Examinations in Scotland

Meningitis info flyer in Chinese

Meningitis Awareness Poster

  • Child Protection at the Conservatoire

The Conservatoire’s Child Protection Policy is something that all students must be aware of.  Please take some time to read the following document.


  • Whistle-blowing Policy and Procedure

Whistle-blowing is a process whereby individuals within an organisation are able to report possible wrongdoing or danger of wrongdoing without personal risks to themselves.  Please take time to read the Conservatoire’s policy on whistle-blowing.


  • Best Practice in Conservatoire Teaching