Dates and Venues
Friday 18th January: Ripley-Grier Studios, 520 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10018
Saturday 19th January: Ripley-Grier Studios, 520 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10018
Sunday 20th January: Ripley-Grier Studios, 520 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10018
Monday 21st January: Ripley-Grier Studios, 520 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10018
Sunday 27th January: Palmer House Hilton Hotel, 17 East Monroe St, Chicago, IL 60603
Monday 28th January: Palmer House Hilton Hotel, 17 East Monroe St, Chicago, IL 60603
New York Panel Members: Gordon Adams, David Higham
Chicago Panel Members: Gordon Adams, David Higham
*Auditions may be recorded for additional review by departmental faculty/staff at RCS.
We kindly ask that you bring a headshot as it helps the panel keep names and faces together. It will not have an impact on the audition outcome. The audition process is separated into multiple components and will last approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Portfolio of work – indicative content would be a CV, production reviews, past arrangements by the candidate, letters of support, CD/USB of recorded work, etc. This material should be given to the audition panel at the audition. Please do not send this material in advance.
- Set Arrangement – this task will be issued to the candidate by email 2-3 weeks in advance of the audition. The arrangements should be presented at the audition and not sent in advance.
- Workshop (Condensed Rehearsal) – candidates will be asked to lead a workshop (up to 30 minutes in duration) to a group of Musical Theatre students which should include:
- A short warm-up
- Elements of vocal technique
- The start point of teaching a section of ensemble repertoire of the candidate’s choosing
- Elements of style and interpretation
- Consultation Lesson – the candidate will be given up to a 30-minute consultation piano lesson working through varying pieces of repertoire that you have prepared. This session will explore your range of keyboard skills and understanding of stylistic interpretation through a 1-1 workshop. Please bring a small selection of song accompaniments for this session.
- Sight-Reading – candidates will be asked to accompany one or two solo singers. Sheet music will only be seen at point of interview.
- Formal Interview – we will be looking for clear communicators who have a strong sense of purpose and show drive to succeed in a highly competitive industry.
Please note that due to this being an international audition without a full representation of the Musical Theatre teaching staff, some elements of this audition may not be available. Please do not be discouraged if you do not participate in every element of the audition process, and please be aware that you may be asked to participate in a follow-up interview (via Skype or similar) with additional staff from the Conservatoire.